History and Photos
The Company was founded in 1984 by Irwin and Lindsay Barkan as an independent business investing in Real Estate and Retail operations throughout the United States and Canada.
I.J. Barkan, Inc. 1984 – present (IJB Inc.)
The business was started in 1984 by Mr. and Mrs. Barkan as a full service real estate development, service, and investment company. The company became prominent in New England for retail development and consulting services. Mr. Barkan has acted as a real estate strategic asset analyst and consultant for many of the country's largest institutions and companies.
I.J. Barkan, Inc. remains active as an investment and management entity.
Since 1984 I.J. Barkan, Inc. has:
- Developed over 2,000,000 S/F of retail real estate primarily grocery or discount store anchored community shopping centers. Anchor stores included Market Basket, Stop and Shop, Shaw's, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and most major Northeast retailers. These ventures were financed by numerous large commercial real estate loans from national lenders and in many cases equity capital was provided by institutions and individuals. No real estate project controlled by I.J. Barkan, Inc. or Irwin Barkan was ever terminated in default of a loan.
- Managed dozens of commercial properties including office buildings and residential complexes.
- Performed over 1,000 commercial property appraisals and consulting assignments.
- Managed investments in retail operating companies and stock portfolios.
- Made strategic investments in REIT's in the early 1990's including a 13d-investment group.
- Represented clients, customers and / or partners in transactions valued at over $1 billion.
- Landlord or developer for most major retailers active in New England including, Wal-Mart, Stop and Shop, K-Mart, Shaws, Market Basket, TJX, and numerous others.
The company recently completed a preferred equity joint venture investment in a Massachusetts shopping center with Kimco Realty, a NYSE REIT. Kimco has made other investments with I.J. Barkan, Inc. since 1989.
D&D Barkan, LLC. 2001 – 2005 (assets sold in 2005)
Mr. Barkan acquired and operated four Dunkin Donut franchises in 2001 with sales of approximately $1.2 million. D&D Barkan invested significantly in the network and grew the group to six stores with an annualized volume of $4.5 million in 4 years. The network was sold in 2005 for $4,025,000.
New England Food Associates (NEFA), 1996 – 2000 (company sold)
The Barkans developed, financed, and operated a group of Save-a-Lot Supermarkets. The stores were developed from the "ground-up" by NEFA and under Mr. Barkan's direction grew from $0 to approximately $20,000,000 in annual sales in 48 months. NEFA had approximately 100 employees and 15,000 customer transactions per week. The stores were sold as a chain in April 2000 to SuperValu (NYSE), American's largest food wholesaler / retailer. Mr. Barkan's partners included affiliates of a NYSE company and several well-known investors.
IJB Retailers 1984 – 1990
Through this entity, Mr. Barkan developed a regional master franchise for MailBoxes, Etc. and a chain of self-service laundries owned 100% by the Barkan family. Both companies were successfully sold in the early 1990's.
Prior to forming IJB, Inc. Irwin Barkan was a Senior Vice President of The Beal Companies, Boston, MA (1977 - 1984). He was responsible for Consulting Services and active in the company's developments, leasing, and investments.
Mr Barkan's civic and trade activities since 1977 have included:
- Invitation to American Society of Real Estate Counselors receiving the CRE professional designation
- Appointed by Governor William Weld to the Massachusetts Treasury Investment Advisory Council in 1990
- Co-Chairman of the National Building Owners and Managers Association National Convention in 1984
- Chairman of E-apparel Conference sponsored by EBG in San Francisco, CA (1999)
- Television appearances on MSNBC, WHDH and others commenting on e-commerce
- Membership in NAR, ICSC, ULI and ASREC
Irwin Barkan graduated from Brandeis University in 1972; he and his wife, Lindsay, have three children and reside in Waitsfield, VT.